Author Topic: Plzz Beware of the Fb posts misguiding to the people about Cut Onions  (Read 1054 times)

fmsi

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Discuss your health problems here
    • View Profile
Plzz Beware to those Fb-Pages/ email / messges, who are Misguiding to the people about Cut Onions~

According to this widely circulated health warning, people should not eat raw or left-over onion because onions are "poisonous".

The fact is that onions are not especially prone to bacterial contamination. In fact, quite the opposite. Onions feature a variety of sulphur compounds that have antibacterial activity. Furthermore, cutting an onion triggers the release of enzymes that initiate a chemical reaction producing propenesulfenic acid, which in turn decomposes to yield sulphuric acid.

It is the sulphuric acid that makes you cry by irritating the eyes! But sulphuric acid also inhibits the growth of bacteria. Also, a cut onion's surface dries out quickly, reducing the moisture that is needed for bacteria to multiply.

Share this post.....!
~dr.sharib azmi~

courtesy: https://www.facebook.com/dailyhealthtipss

chery1234

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 133
  • Discuss your health problems here
    • View Profile
Re: Plzz Beware of the Fb posts misguiding to the people about Cut Onions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:18:56 PM »
that is really instersting.